The Shape Japer is a purple ball with a permanent angry face, a grin, and sharp teeth.
She's usually the cause of things changing shape or size, such as mops, and builders poles, or particular shapes having problems. She is the easiest meanie to defeat and is the nicest meanie. She can be seen to be very dumb. She flies though the air, doesn’t know how to speak well, but laughs maniacally. She is able to change her shape from sphere to cube at will.
She is very strange and instinctive rather than calculating. When she gets defeated she always makes a very weird sound and she feels uncomfortable at the same time when the Brain Gain fires her.
- Some troubles that she makes don't necessarily have to be involving shapes. It can be based on the numbers that is in a specific shape. For instance, in May the Fours Be with You, she is permanently a cube. Having eight corners, she makes everything with eights go bad.
- The troubles can also involve how shapes are made. In Slide and Turn, sliding is a process of making lines and shapes with straight edges, while turning is a process of making circular shapes.
- She appears to have relatively sharp eyes, as she can see shapes that can hardly be noticed. This was first seen in Square Dancing when she sees a man's diamond patterned ties actually have squares being rotated 45 degrees.
- In 3 Things Good, Three, Five and Six found lots of threes in them and make triangles, but the Shape Japer really wants to stab Numberjack Three to death. Three was on her own during her solo mission cos they had a problem with the Launcher.
- When she changes into a cube, her eyebrows stretch into trapezium, and her top row teeth are longer while the bottom ones are flat and her round sides of her eyes turn straight.
- Although it is not noticeable, the Shape Japer is actually the youngest of the Meanies.
- It is possible that she is the same age as Three.
- When she speaks, she has some lisp. This is either due to lack of tongue, or that she is young.
- She is the only member of the Meanies to be reasoned with. This is seen in Slide and Turn, when Five stopped the Shape Japer from sliding and turning shaped objects, even though she finds another way of causing trouble.
- In the Season 2 (2009), the shape of her teeth are changed to semicircles, instead of triangles (but only in the UK version).
- She has the smallest size of the meanies but is bigger than the Numberjacks.
- Her mouth doesn’t close, instead, it gets taller and shorter.
- Unlike Spooky Spoon, her full theme song is sang by male even if she’s female.
- A Circle at Both Ends (Five)
- A Game of Two Halves (Four)
- Bad Circles (Six)
- Boxing Day (Six)
- Counting Down to Christmas with Numbertaker and Spooky Spoon (Five and Six)
- Fraction Action (Three)
- May the Fours Be with You (Four)
- Measured Response (Six)
- More 4 (Four)
- Seaside Adventure with Numbertaker, Problem Blob, Puzzler and Spooky Spoon (One, Two, Three, Four, Six, Seven, Eight and Nine)
- Slide and Turn (Five)
- Sphere Today, Gone Tomorrow (Six)
- Square Dancing (One, Four and Nine)
- 3 Things Good (Three)
- Very Shapely (Six)
Theme Song Lyrics
♪ Looks like the Shape Japer's back ♪
♪ Shape Japer, she's really very strange ♪
♪ Shape Japer, she loves to make things change ♪
♪ Changing faces, changing sides ♪
♪ Changing shapes every single time ♪
♪ Changing shapes is the Japer's game ♪
♪ The Shape Japer's back again ♪
Biography by Four, the Narrator
All of the meanies can cause us problems, and that is certainly what the Shape Japer does.
The Shape Japer loves changing the shapes of some things. One day, she turned balls into cubes, which made playing sports and games very hard, and she gave Six a scare on the marble run in Sphere Today, Gone Tomorrow. The Shape Japer changed the shape of boxes in Boxing Day and made them a lot of trouble.
One day, the Shape Japer decided she loved everything cut in half in A Game of Two Halves, and another day, it was everything with circles that was going wrong in Bad Circles. And one strange day, she made everyone dance on squares in Square Dancing. The Shape Japer has done all sorts of things, like making things move in Slide and Turn. Once, the Shape Japer mucked about anything to do with things that come in eights in May the Fours Be With You, like umbrellas and eight-wheel buggies.
Then we find a way to deal with her.
Sorting out meanies like the Shape Japer - that's what we are here for.
Slide and Turn
A Circle at Both Ends